August 19, 2013
Current Weight: 173.5 lbs. (down 8.5 lbs from start)
- Bicep – 12.25″ (down .75″ from start)
- Natural Waist – 28.5″ (down 1.5″ from start)
- Belly Button – 31.5″ (down 3.5″ from start)
- Smallest part of hips – 40″ (down 2″ from start)
- Widest part of hips – 42″ (down 2″ from start)
- Upper thigh – 21.75″ (down 1.25″ from start)
- Mid-thigh – 19″ (down 1.5″ from start)
- Above knee – 17″ (down .5″ from start)
- Calf – 15.75″ (down .5″ from start)
- Ankle – 9.25″ (d0wn .5″ from start)
Moving again in the right direction, though slowly still. Part of me is a little discouraged that after 33 weeks I’m barely into my size 10s. And not even all of my size 10s. ::sigh:: I care less that I’m only down 8.5 lbs as I know that I’ve gained a lot of muscle. But after number crunching last week when I learned about the Harris Benedict Method of finding TDEE, I think I’m going to change my calorie goal. Again. Sheesh, I always switch this one up. But I work out 6 days a week for at least an hour at fairly high intensity. So I know my biggest problem has to be my calorie consumption. When I blogged last week about the Harris Benedict Method I came up with a chart that would help me decide how many calories to eat based on how long I worked out that day. It was a good idea, but this weekend made me realize that weekends suck. Because I have no set routine on Saturdays it’s hard to keep my eating in check. Also on Sundays it can be tough because I eat dinner at my mom’s house and never know what I’m going to be offered. I know these are only excuses, but back when I did Weight Watchers (and lost my first 30 lbs that I’ve since been able to keep off) I ate great during the week and gave myself the weekend off from counting. This didn’t mean I could go crazy. It just meant that if I had a 0 calorie deficit 2 days of the week it wasn’t a big deal because I had such a large deficit the other 5 days. So here I go experimenting again. Basically I’m going to still work out 6 days a week, and most of them will be over an hour so I can get a little extra burn. As for calorie intake, I’m going back to a weekly overall deficit instead of a daily one. When I was doing Sparkpeople.com I did a weekly deficit and I got down to 163 lbs. So according to my number crunching the least I should eat is 1,914 calories. So M-F I’m going to eat between 1,900-1,950 depending on my workout. And Sat/Sun I will eat around my maintenance level which would be 2,700 or less. I’m not going to count in detail on those days, I’m going to estimate the best I can. Anyway, I hope this will help me be better during the week and not binge on the weekends. I have found if I make time to allow myself to indulge my sweet tooth then I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself the rest of the time. We’ll see how this goes this next week.
Here’s how I did on goals 1-33 last week:
Goal One – Workout schedule run 3 days a week, strength train 3 days a week, Sun rest (short, low impact workout, if any) – Currently in training for my next HM
- Tuesday – Outdoor running, 3.1 miles; Billy Blanks Rockin’ Buns DVD
- Wednesday – Outdoor running, 7 miles
- Thursday – Billy Blanks Rockin’ Abs and Sculpt Express DVDs
- Friday – Cardio workout using the Sworkit App (more on that in an upcoming post)
- Saturday – 5 mile hike
- Sunday – Rest day
- Monday – Outdoor running, 12 miles
Goal Two – No carbonation at least 6 days a week
- A root beer on Saturday – it was free with my meal 😉
Goal Three – Eat so that I have an average caloric deficit of 500-1,000 every day. (I’ll change the wording of this goal next week)
- T – 730 deficit
- W – 767 deficit
- H – 759 deficit
- F – 1,000 deficit
- Sat – Didn’t count
- Sun – Day off from counting
- M – 1,811 deficit
Goal Four – Eat at least 2 fruits every day
- T – apple, kiwi, grapes, banana
- W – tomato, avocado, apple, grapes, banana
- H – apple, banana, grapes, kiwi
- F – strawberries, blueberries, apple, pineapple, grapes, banana
- Sat – banana, plums, tomato, avocado
- Sun – banana, grapes, peach
- M – apple, grapes, banana, kiwi
Goal Five – Write a weekly mantra/inspiring phrase on my bathroom mirror and repeat it throughout the day.
- “Be happy with what you have while working for what you want.” – Helen Keller
Goal Six – Have a good cry.
Goal Seven – Consume at least 120 ounces of plain water
- Tuesday – 168
- Wednesday – 168
- Thursday – 168
- Friday – 126
- Saturday – 120
- Sunday – 132
- Monday – 126 and still counting
Goal Eight – Do something nice for someone
- My best friend suggested that I do my best to serve others more, but to make sure to count the little things I do. I appreciated her advice because I sometimes think I have to do something magnificent or it doesn’t count. This week I feel like I did good with this. I visited a friend, and I spent a whole day with my 12-13 year old girls.
Goal Nine – Do isometrics while on the train to/from work and while at my desk
Goal Ten – Don’t stand still
Goal 11 – Read something related to health and fitness
- I read more from Tom Venuto. I signed up to receive his online newsletter, and everything is so interesting. I read today about how fitness magazines are often in bed with the diet pill companies.
Goal 12 – Notice Beauty
- Rocks and water! Even after a major rock slide Donut Falls is still beautiful and calming. We are a bit fuzzy in the pic, but the rocks look great!
Me with my 12-13 year olds from church
Goal 13 – Take Time to Relax Somehow
- Hot bath on Saturday and a Sunday nap
Goal 14 – Take the Stairs to the 3rd Floor before using the 2nd Floor bathroom
Goal 15 – Download and use a Health and Fitness App
- MyFitnessPal, AND Sworkit (again, more on this in an upcoming post)
Goal 16 – No eating after 7pm at least 5 days/week
- I ate after 7pm on Saturday
Goal 17 – Belly Laugh
- Saturday while hanging with the 12-13 year old girls I teach at church. They are sil-ly!
Goal 18 – Touch base with an out-of-town friend and family member
- Spoke with my BFF on Friday and my Montana sister on Wednesday (or was it Tuesday?)
Goal 19 – Double Stretching
Goal 20 – Work Out for at Least One Hour, 6 days a week
- T – 77 minutes
- W- 70 minutes
- H – 75 minutes
- F – 60 minutes
- Sat – 60 minutes
- Sun – Rest day
- M – 126 minutes
Goal 21 – Eat at least 2 vegetables each day
- T – carrots, sugar snap peas
- W – carrots, lettuce
- H – carrots
- F – corn, onion, lettuce
- Sat – carrots, lettuce
- Sun – carrots, zucchini
- M – carrots, sugar snap peas
Goal 22 – Take an actual rest day on Sunday
Goal 23 – Use 10 lb hand weights during strength workouts
Goal 24 – Take a walk 2-3 times during the week
- I took a walk Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday
Goal 25 – Think of something I don’t miss from an unhealthy lifestyle
- I don’t miss fast food. French fries, triple stacked burgers, ginormous milkshakes. Nope. Don’t miss those. Now don’t get me wrong. I still enjoy a hamburger, sweet potato fries, and a small milkshake every now and again. But I don’t miss the super sized life being my staples.
Goal 26 – Be in bed and ready to sleep 7-8 hours before the time my alarm is set for the next morning.
- Yes, except for Friday night.
Goal 27 – Congratulate myself when I make good choices
- I bought some “back to school” clothes for being awesome during my workouts this week. And after this morning’s 12 mile run I truly feel like I deserved it!
Goal 28 – Try a new fruit or vegetable
- I tried a donut peach. I saw them at the store and assumed they would taste a bit different since they look so different from regular peaches. But they taste just like normal. Mmm, fail. LOL!
Goal 29 – Try to eat 55% carbs, 30% fats, and 15% protein
Goal 30 – Complete household cleaning chart weekly
- I did pretty good. I cleaned pretty good in preparation for my girls to come to my house on Saturday. But then we went on a hike and brought some dirt back with us. And then we baked cookies and got flour all over. But, hey, it was fun!
Goal 31 – Eat a rainbow
- Red – gala apple, strawberries, tomato
- Orange/Yellow – carrots, corn, apricots, peach, pineapple
- Green – avocado, zucchini, kiwi, lettuce, sugar snap peas, granny smith apple
- Blue/Purple/Black – black grapes, plums, blueberries
- White – banana, onion
Goal 32 – What I like about Me
- I like how strong I have gotten over the years. I’m so amazed that after my 12 mile run today I’m not sore or tired. I felt great after my 11 mile run a couple weeks ago, too. My legs feel awesome! I remember it wasn’t always this way. I remember how bad my legs would hurt running more than 6 miles. It seems like it wasn’t that long ago. But now my legs are stronger than ever. And with my continued efforts I will keep getting stronger 🙂
Goal 33 – Do less modified versions of my workouts
- Did regulation pushups as much as I could. But this week’s workout aren’t ones I normally need to do a lot of modified versions. No, that’s this coming week with Jillian. Yikes!